Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Embarked upon a new trek

Thanks to my sweet friend, we shall call her Wahoo-girl, I was able to see my doctor much sooner than expected (note to self: call and cancel the 12/3 appointment). Wahoo-girl, whether she realizes it or not, has now signed on to be my personal tour guide through the arena of Topamax. According to the literature, all sorts of things can go wrong with this medication. Somnolence- no problem, I'll take it at night to help with that, per recommendation of Wahoo-girl. Cognitive impairment- while I'm somewhat used to being forgetful and not being good with names and faces, I do have a distinct fear of this worsening. I have a pretty meticulous system of organization at work to help keep all my paperwork in order and on time; I just have to be careful not to let my system implode on itself. Maybe I'll be asking my students to wear name tags before it's all said and done. The rest of you people are just going to have deal with me and answer when I call you by my dogs' names. I do worry about disorientation, I have a history of forgetting how to get to places if I don't go that route fairly often. In fact, I'm driving Wahoo-girl up to Blacksburg on Saturday and I'm praying I won't get us all turned around. Because she is so awesome, I suppose I shouldn't worry too much. I just really don't want to miss kick off. Dizziness- I guess I'll just try to sit down for that one. Again, hopefully taking this drug at night will ward off these complications. Ataxia (or as my MD called it 'funny walking')- If I start doing this, I won't last long on this drug. I wouldn't want to walk around looking as if I'd already tied one on! Apparently, I shouldn't be doing much drinking of alcohol from here on out. This will probably mean dropping my 3 drink limit to a 1 drink limit. One glass of wine at dinner should be no problem. But limiting myself to only one Fat Tire or one Octoberfest, nearly makes me want to cry. We'll just have to slowly test these particular waters.
But here is the point to this entry (oh finally, she makes a point): I hope to keep a little running record here about how my journey into zombie-land is going and at the same time chronicling what my life is like as I hopefully become migraine-free. And then truly my Heaven will be a Big Heaven indeed. And if it doesn't work, well I guess I'm looking at a lobotomy.
First dose- 11/24 (night before Thanksgiving) 12.5mg-followed directions given by Wahoo-girl, ate dinner, plenty of fluids.

No comments:

Post a Comment