Saturday, June 26, 2010

Shock the Monkey...

Yep, that monkey is definitely shocked that I had anything to do with getting our names on it! Of course it helps that Linda and I have such high handicaps that we, along with our very good golfing hubbies, managed to shoot a net score of 27 on the front nine. (insert me doing the PeeWee Herman when the winning team was announced) The surprising thing is that we were actually able to use one of my drives! This is only the 2nd time I have played the "Nine and Dine" at KCC and the first time I got to try out my new clubs. Russ bought me a beer for whacking this sprinkler pipe sticking up out of the ground, a move which couldn't be repeated in a zillion years if I tried. Last time, he bought me a beer for nearly taking out a goose! I'm not really good at this game, but I have a very patient partner in Chris, who watches my every swing and gives me very good tips on cleaning up my act. That and Tina at the club also gave me some good advice which I shall not repeat here due to extreme vulgarity, but the advice did help. I'm learning all about using my hips, reading other peoples' putts, hitting my drive on the up swing, etc. I guess the next book I read will be Carl Hiassen on returning to the golf course after several years. I may relate best to his wit in learning this game. Apparently, they're going to shake up golf partners, so our teams aren't 'stacked' which is laughable if you ever saw me and Linda play together. So next time, I think we are actually playing with a lady who is really, really good. At this point, I have got to get over the intimidation factor. It was fun as long as I was playing with someone with beginner-skill level such as myself, we could laugh at ourselves and swear loudly after many shots. I'm not sure how it will be playing with 3 really good golfers and me being the obvious slacker on the team. But, I'm willing to give it my best; we shall see if my name ever gets back on that monkey. (also, I wonder if I owe Russ a beer, his being contingent on forces outside of KCC...)

No comments:

Post a Comment