Friday, April 8, 2011

This isn't your ivory tower, babe.

The Clinical Director of Longwood University's Communication Disorders program inquired of me today about placing a graduate student with me for next year. After referring her to the powers that be, the deal was sealed. I get to supervise my first graduate student in the fall. I know this will be a new thing and a little extra work for me, but I admit that I am kind of excited about it. Here is a new chance to give back to my profession and in return, I get a fresh, green face with fresh, green ideas to work with my students. It's no secret that my enviornment is not exactly ideal for remediation of skills; however, I feel that I've been professional enough to make this thing work. My student, let's call her 'Lancer Lady', will see what it's really like out there in the wild world of public education. She'll get to explore the lovely Instructional-Pod-Complex, navigate through the twisted and sometimes wicked Child-Study/IEP process, collaborate with a variety of educators, possibly eat school lunch, and if she's really lucky, ride in a county car - WHAT AN ADVENTURE!
I just hope I don't make a total and complete goofball of myself. I mean I am a full-on goofball, and that's okay. I just want to have something to offer this young (or old) mind who is coming to work with me. She gets to look at all my anecdotal note-taking (read: total chickenscratch) and attempt to put in some system of documentation that we both can agree on and understand. And I, with my slightly controlling self, I get to relinquish a little bit of 'MINE'. This is a toughie for me. I like things done a certain way in my world, but as marriage has taught me, it's rarely my way whether I like it or not. I can face down this issue, as long as I continue to refuse to be an old fuddy-duddy. So look out, Lancer Lady, this should be a fun experience and I expect we shall each learn plenty.

1 comment:

  1. Does the grad candidate HAVE to have a green face? ;-) You're gonna be great at this, btw.

    ReplyDelete