Friday, April 1, 2011

Saying goodbye


You were a bright spot in my Tuesday afternoon routine. Always a smile and a hug for me amid the noise of this busy little place. How will I ever wait on the couch for my children's piano lessons to end again without thinking of you? And wondering what you were going to become? Someone said last night you had so much going for you, so much talent. You also had so much love to give to so many people and music that seemed nonstop! I am so blessed to have known you and I thank you for always letting me be myself around you. I will always remember the look on your face when I said on that last Tuesday, "I could just curl up next to you like an old cat." You moved everything out of the way, patted the spot next to you and grinned the widest grin I've seen in a while. It's too bad I wasn't an old cat after all, that spot would have been a pleasant one indeed! Thank you for being so kind to my children. Thank you for encouraging me to learn to play a violin at my old, crotchety age and not making faces when I sounded terrible. Thank you for being my friend and sharing your stories and dreams with me. I am honored to be counted among this group of people with whom you shared yourself. I shall think of you each time I'm at Carter's, each time I play Angry Birds, each time I watch The Big Lewbowski, each time I hear a song from Mumford & Sons, and probably anytime I find a sweet young man sitting around strumming an acoustic guitar. Farewell, sweet Roy. May you be rocking with the Angels above.

No comments:

Post a Comment