Saturday, July 24, 2010

Hot morning in VA

I decided at 8a.m. that I'd better get in my garden and pick all I could before it got too hot. Needless to say after 15 minutes of that, my Arkansas Annual Bean Fest and Outhouse Races t-shirt was soaked through. I have found that since moving back from Colorado, I have very little tolerance for heat and humidity. You'd think that after we've been back for so many years, I would have gotten my body back to pre-CO conditioning. But of course, I had another baby and that didn't help either. I used to say that summer was my favorite season, because I loved the heat and laying out to tan. "I'd rather bake than freeze," I'd say. Let's understand that I still hate the cold like crazy, but heat is just not very much better anymore. I guess I'm down to my new favorite season- football season- best season of all!! I can't wait for gridiron action this year. It signifies cooler temps and my hubby and I always enjoy it together. But for today, I intend on two things: working on fresh garden salsa and spending time in the dining room where the girls and I bond over our artistic talents.
I guess you could say that this is where the magic happens... but not really for me. Annelise is so fabulous with her piano and I am just SO AWFUL with my violin. At least I am finally trying and we both have the best teacher. I'll just take this moment to give props to Vernon Carter! I say to him, "talk to me like I'm an 8 year old" and he obliges. He says to me, "It's a good thing you dated a drummer for 3 years, you got some Rhythm!" I'm still totally embarrassed to be playing in front of anyone, but it does get better. I'm now finishing my 3rd cup of coffee of the day and so it's time to actually get going with the salsa. I may attempt to learn about canning today also, no point in making tons of salsa if I can't put it up. It's all a learning curve for me, as growing up, I was never paying attention when folks around me were doing useful things such as canning and quilting. I intend to learn to do it all. Now that I have conquered making a pan of biscuits, I feel as if I can rule the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment