Saturday, November 18, 2017

An attempt at making sense of it.

I like to say that children are jewels, precious gems.  Some people are called "diamonds in the rough" and while this seems cliche, there is some truth in it.  Because I have an affinity for pearls, I tend to look at my own children as such.  It isn't because they begin as irritants and end as beautiful works of an oyster.  It is akin to being a "diamond in the rough".  They are literal grit, softened and beautified over time, and having many, many formative layers.
People, in a general sense, are continual works in progress, being slowly tumbled, tried, and polished until they are perfected in the eyes of those who love them.  But they are loved all along.  If a child is perfected long before we expect it in our own minds, does that mean the work is over and they can be safely tucked away in the Master's pocket?  Or does that stone become somehow flawed or crushed under some unseen pressure?  If my precious stones were to be snatched from me, I would no doubt go through the various stages of anger, doubt and resentment toward the One who gifted me with them.

This is where my mind is right now as I think about our young people in the wake of another loss.

What causes some of these gems and pearls to break, and to break too soon?  What does a parent go through in trying to comprehend such loss?  What questions do their friends, family members, teachers, and other supportive people ask themselves during a time like this?  I can think of a thousand 'what-ifs' and 'why-didn't-I's",  many of which I have already heard uttered by the anguished.  It is so easy to fall into a mire of guilt and regret, as a by-product of utter sadness.

And of course, "where is God?"

In an effort to sort through this, I wanted to look to the scriptures for some semblance of an answer and also offer it to you.

Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.  -John 17:17

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  -1 Peter 5:8
What parent doesn't inevitably blame him or herself for tragedies that befall their children?  I know I would. "What didn't I do?" "Where did we go wrong?"  "Did I not love enough?"  The torture of one's own soul has the potential to consume entirely.  But look at what Peter says; we are all fighting the enemy.  There is spiritual warfare going on all around us; we don't see it, but it exists.  
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.                -Ephesians 6:12
I do believe that God is there in that moment and that he remains in control; however, every person has his own battle against despair and discouragement, and is his own moral agent.  And thus that person's cross to bear is transferred to others...all those people who love him take up this cross of despair and sadness.  We have to give it to Jesus.
May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones. -1 Thessalonians 3:13
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. -Psalm 46:1
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort  -2 Corinthians 1:3
I pray for our Heavenly Father to wrap his arms of peace and comfort around this family and to love them and all the classmates and friends through this sad time.  
Briefly, what of this sweet soul who left too soon? Can he rest peacefully?  I hope so in my heart and I believe that God has great mercy.  Consider this from Paul's letter to the Romans:
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus -Romans 8:1

Forgive me, please, if my words are no help, I am merely a lay-person attempting to make sense of this and find my own comfort.  If nothing else, I hope that the Words of the Scriptures bring about some peace in someone.  
Last evening, several pearls and their sweet mothers gathered in my home to support one another.  We didn't know how to help these young people, we knew not the words.  We only knew that they needed each other in that moment.  And I am so incredibly thankful for their youth pastor who came by to help them and us through the utter shock of what has occurred.  
Arielle, you are a blessing.  We thank God for you.
We thank God for all our precious gemstones and pearls and their bonds for each other.
We thank God for this sweet young man who was in our lives for such a brief moment.  
We pray for Comfort that only the Lord can provide for his family and friends.
That's all I have.  It's just love and sadness.  I guess the two will eternally go hand-in-hand in the same way that love and joy are also intermingled.  The three cannot be separated, and must be embraced as a whole.  But embracing this whole is made easier when embraced by our Master.

1 comment:

  1. "...and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes." Revelation 7:9-17

    ReplyDelete