Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Life and How to Live It


I look in all sorts of places for hope these days. Mom's attitude is wonderful; this gives me hope. She gets stronger everyday; this gives me hope. Last night, she said to me on the phone, "I don't think the Physical Therapist had me up walking enough. I'm going to ask for more walking tomorrow." HOPE HOPE HOPE! I must say, my Mom is AWESOME! I found a page today on Duke Hospital's website which I will share right here. It if full of HOPE! I also found an interview with Dr. Friedman at Duke's Brain Tumor Center which gives me HOPE also. When I found out, through my sister, yesterday that Both Dr. Allan Friedman and Dr. Henry Friedman had agreed to take on Mom's case, I began to cry and praise Jesus. The Lord has given us this HOPE!
I went to play practice last night with this praise on my mind and it was a much better practice than the last one, where I became breathless and numb, and angry and hysterical. Mom says she's going to try to come to the opening night and so I have every motivation to be the best Hodel in the world for her.

The above photograph was taken at the Rembrandt exhibit in Raleigh, NC. It was the last excursion she took with her granddaughters (sorry, Bentley probably wouldn't have enjoyed Rembrandt). We took the trip thinking it would be fun before she had her last back surgery. We never dreamed we would be where we are now. I had been kind of dreaming about going to the beach with her and the kids this summer for a long weekend. I'm still holding on to that one, and why not? I haven't been on vacation with Mom in many years. To write off this wish would mean I've given up HOPE, which I'm not.

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post. There is no reason to give up hope. Duke is a top-ten cancer institute with world-renowned oncologists - between those doctors and nurses, you and your family, and your spiritual faith, your mother is in the best possible hands. Hugs to all and hang in there. And from one who has battled the Cancer Beast herself, I can honestly say there is no reason ever to abandon that hope. Miracles happen every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,
    The strength and love in your words are astounding and you are right....HOPE, HOPE, HOPE and Pray, Pray, Pray...When it is all said and done, that is all any of us have!!!!! We are all hopeing and praying!! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete