Saturday, March 24, 2012

Respirations

We spent the better part of the day watching a two-digit number rise and fall. It was sort of like watching a loved one rumble by on a roller coaster. You kind of wave at them as you watch them smile right before they begin to ascend an almost vertical hill. You think, "geez I'm glad I decided not to get on that ride.". But, of course, she never was given a choice about this event. It just was. I had tickets for a seafood boil and oyster fest in the neighboring county. This is another reminder that making plans can sometimes be a foolish endeavor. It's a no-brainier that I would pack my overnight bag and declare that, like a cat, I can sleep anywhere...and so I am. After all, this is my Mom we are talking about. If you are reading this entry and you wonder what's going on, well your guess is as good as mine. All I can really say is, we are in an excellent hospital and we have the best nurses and a neurologist who interned at the Mayo Clinic. Hey, he had me at Mayo. There have been improvements in her status. Mom is basically stable and so we wait for answers. Diagnostics are on-going in a place like this. As I said, we watched numbers most of the day. How are her lungs functioning? Some effort was spent on trying to keep her calm and cool her down when she had a hot flash. And then before I knew it, it's late and official visiting hours are over. Me, I'm working on four hours of sleep so I'm looking forward to melting into this very nice recliner I've picked out for myself. They just had a gunshot wound come in, along with his distraught loved one who speaks loudly to someone on the phone. She's complaining a lot about the messy weather outside and there is some impatience with hospital staff. Her tone is acrid and I hope she doesn't make anymore telephone calls as I don't require her negative energy. I haven't a complaint in the world despite my anxiety over Mom's condition. They are taking good care of her, she is resting, and they take good care of family members as well. I realize that not everyone who might read this is a Christian and may not pray to any deity. I must admit that I have become so accustomed to drawing strength from my Lord Jesus, that I could not imagine traveling this path without Him. I am grateful that, during a time when I tried to walk away from God, he turned out to be relentless in his pursuit of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment